Tuesday 2 May 2017

Happy May everyone! 
Can you believe that it is May already? I cannot believe how fast the past month has flown by. It has been a busy few weeks indeed! 

As we begin May, we have begun our celebrations for Catholic Education Week. This is a week we have set aside to celebrate and highlight our Catholic Education. A schedule of events was sent home. Here is a review of the happenings of the week!! 



There will be many reminders going home about the daily events.  Remember to check this blog and Twitter for frequent reminders! 

Just a note about the open house on Wednesday morning. 
Our class will be open and the class will highlight our learning. Please feel free to come in and check everything out! 
I will be arriving at school around 9:00 as my children have student led conferences that morning at their school. If you do come, I hope I will make it in time to see you! My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. 

The month of May also means that EQAO testing will begin for my Grade 3 friends  The tests will be administered at the home schools with their Grade 3 class. Information about which dates your child will write will be sent home through the home school. I have been working with the resource and classroom teachers to ensure that the students are prepared to write these tests.  When I say that the students are prepared, what I mean is that I want to make sure that the students are ready to do their best. No one is expecting them to do more than they are capable of.  I tell them all the time...... "We never ask you to do something that you cannot do. You CAN do this!" There will be accommodations in place to help the students feel more comfortable, and more successful. This test should not be a source of stress or concern for the students.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the test. I am happy to chat with you about it!!

In other news, we have been working quite hard in our little corner! 
The students have been reviewing vowel sounds, both long and short. We have also spent some time reviewing and practicing the different spelling patterns for the many different sounds. We will continue reviewing this throughout the remainder of the year. 

In our reading, we are still looking at inferring as a comprehension strategy.  The students are doing an excellent job of using their previous knowledge to come to new conclusions while listening to stories. Right now, we practice this skill during shared and guided reading sessions (large and small group instruction).  As reading skills develop, this strategy will help them come to a deeper understanding of what they are reading independently. 

 We are still working hard toward our writing goal for procedural writing. Last week we tried to blow bubbles with bubble gum! Then we had to write about it. That was not as easy as it looked! 

Thank you for tuning in yet again!  I just want to reiterate again how proud I am of each of my students.  Your children work so hard everyday and are learning new things all the time. They really have come so far since September!! I feel so lucky to be a part of their academic journey and to get to spend my days with them. Thanks for sending them to me everyday!

I hope that you are all enjoying the warm weather! Have a great week!