Friday 7 September 2018

Welcome Back!
Mrs. Faloon
Primary Language Class


Hello and welcome to a new school year! I hope that everyone had a wonderful and relaxing summer! I know I enjoyed my time with my family!
I was so thrilled to see my returning students and I am very excited
to get to know my new students.


We certainly have had an exciting start to our new school year.  
It has been a very busy few days. We have started some getting-to-
know-you activities, talked about our summer holidays, discussed
school and classroom rules and procedures, and began to establish
routines within the classroom. We even practiced a fire drill so we
know what to do when the first one happens. We are off to a great
start and I know it is going to be a wonderful school year!!


In the next few weeks we will dive right into our learning. I will
be teaching the students about reading and writing strategies and
we will be working on our oral language skills daily. We have
already begun talking about letters and sounds and how they work
together to make words. We have practiced rhyming and syllables
each day.

We read a book called, You're Finally Here! The students drew a
picture and told me all about their summer.

We will begin weekly word wall words shortly. The students will
complete activities within the classroom to practice and learn their
words. The words will be sent home each week for you to practice
with your children. I will write the students words in a book each
week and you can review them with your children. There is no
specific activity that will be required of them, the words are sent
home for reinforcement and to keep you in the loop about what
your children are learning. Feel free to read the words with your
children, write the words with them or simply bring them up in
conversation and talk about their spelling.

We will also begin our Snuggle Up and Read Program soon. I will be sending home their reading folders with a book for your child to read.
For the new families, the concept of the Snuggle Book is that I send home a book for you to snuggle up and read with your child.  While I am sure you have tons of books at home, this is a book that I have chosen to be at your child's reading level. The idea is that you read the book with your child a few times until they can read it to you independently.  This may be right away or it may take a few days.
However long it takes.....no problem! Please keep the book until your child feels comfortable reading it on their own, then you can return it for a new book. In the folder there is a place for you to write whether the book was too easy, too hard or just right.  Please let me know so I can continue to choose appropriate books for each child!


We will begin learning about our Daily Five workstations.
This is valuable learning time that we use to focus on each
child’s individual goals. The stations are set out with each
child’s individual learning needs in mind. It gives them time
to work on skills at their level!


Also in the next few weeks we will be learning some new
games to help with our learning. We love to make learning
feel like playing!


The students are working hard and I am really proud of them.
 It is a lot of work coming to two different schools! I would
like to thank you for your dedication to your child's learning.
Our little class can be best described as a family. We take
care of each other and learn from one another. Our situation
is unique and beautiful. I feel so fortunate to be in a class
where I can focus on each child, assisting each one to meet
their goals. I am looking forward to learning with them
throughout this school year. I know it will be amazing!


Here are just a few little reminders:


Have you checked us out on Twitter yet?
@MrsFaloonPLC
There are tons of pictures and snippets of what we do everyday.


Also, remember that our blog is mrsfaloonplc.blogspot.ca.

We will also be using the SEESAW app again as a way for you to see what is happening in the class. You will be able to sign up and get notifications when your child adds work to their folder. There will be more information sent home about that shortly. Stay tuned!
Transportation: If your child is absent from our Primary Language Class, it is very important that you call the transportation office to cancel the STS drivers (arrival and departure).
The phone number is 613-723- 9677.

Does your child have indoor shoes at St. John the Apostle Catholic
School?   We are requesting that each student brings an extra pair
of shoes that could be left in our classroom. The shoes should be
shoes he/she can put on easily on their own (i.e. without laces if
you child is unable to tie his/her shoes yet).  This will help keep
the class floors neat and tidy. Please be sure to write your child’s
name in the shoes clearly. Please let me know if you have any
concerns about this.


Please label your child’s belongings. It is very helpful to have your
child’s name in their coats, sweaters, lunch bags, backpacks,
shoes and boots!


IEP’s
Your child’s Individual Education Plan is developed in collaboration between the homeschool team, you the parents, and me. The homeschool will send home a draft copy of the IEP in October.  Please take the time to read it carefully. Please remember your input is very important. Please note that a different teacher from St. John the Apostle will be reporting on the Social Studies curriculum for our students.

I hope everyone had a nice week. The first week back is always busy
and hectic and wonderful! Please remember that I am happy to help if
you have any questions or concerns.


Sarah Faloon