Tuesday 28 April 2015

Hello!

Can you believe that it is the end of April already? I cannot believe how fast the past month has flown by. It has been a busy few weeks indeed! 

As we approach May, we are busy preparing for Catholic Education Week. This is a week set aside to celebrate and highlight our Catholic Education. 
A schedule of events has gone home this week! Here is a copy of the schedule. Please let me know if you have any questions at all about any of the events.  I would love to see as many of you as possible at our Open House on Wednesday morning!

There will be many reminders going home about the daily events.  Remember to check this blog and Twitter for frequent reminders! Also, there will be information is going home about purchasing tickets for the basket raffle. It is an amazing fundraiser and there are spectacular baskets to be won!

The month of May also means that EQAO testing will begin for my Grade 3 friends  The tests will be administered at the home schools with their Grade 3 class. Information about which dates your child will write will be sent home through the home school. I have been working with the resource and classroom teachers to ensure that the students are prepared to write these tests.  When I say that the students are prepared, what I mean is that I want to make sure that the students are ready to do their best. No one is expecting them to do more than they are capable of.  I tell them all the time...... "We never ask you to do something that you cannot do. You CAN do this!" There will be accommodations in place to help the students feel more comfortable, and more successful. This test should not be a source of stress or concern for the students.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the test. I am happy to chat with you about it!!

In other news, we have been working quite hard in our little corner! 
The students have been reviewing vowel sounds, both long and short. We have also spent some time reviewing and practicing the different spelling patterns for the many different sounds. We will continue reviewing this throughout the remainder of the year. 

In our reading, we are still looking at inferring as a comprehension strategy.  The students are doing an excellent job of using their previous knowledge to come to new conclusions while listening to stories. Right now, we practice this skill during shared and guided reading sessions (large and small group instruction).  As reading skills develop, this strategy will help them come to a deeper understanding of what they are reading independently. 

As I mentioned in the last post, we have spent a great deal of time learning about Earth Day. Our discussions have involved why it is important to help our planet, some ways in which we can help our planet, and also why it is important to have a day to recognize and promote this cause. It has made for some excellent class discussions with many practical implications. 
To celebrate what they have learned, the students have completed either a poster promoting Earth Day, or a simple comic depicting ways that we can all help out. The students will be presenting their projects in the next few days.  We will review how to speak clearly in front of an audience and how to present information to others in a clear manner. This project involves many skills we have been working on all year (reading, speaking in whole sentences, making eye contact with others, understanding media etc.) so I cannot wait to see what the students present! 

Thank you for tuning in yet again!  I just want to reiterate again how proud I am of each of my students.  Your children work so hard everyday and are learning new things all the time. They really have come so far since September!! I feel so lucky to be a part of their academic journey and to get to spend my days with them. Thanks for sending them to me everyday!

I hope that you are all enjoying the warm weather! Have a great week!